[Pulp-list] Anyone using VDO to save space in /var/lib/pulp?

Mike DePaulo mikedep333 at redhat.com
Mon May 13 19:05:40 UTC 2019

Hi Kodiak,

I've had the discussion over deduplication before (I can't find it though),
and I think the agreement was I would run a test & publish the results at
some point.

Basically, Pulp already duplicates completely identical content files such
as RPMS & debs. VDO would provide dedup at the (4KB) block layer.

However, RPMs, debs, etc contain compression like xz within them. And they
do solid compression (like "data.tar.xz" with debs), not a per-file
compression. Compression interferes with most of the effects of
deduplication:
http://thestoragealchemist.com/blog/2010/04/comression-deduplication-oil-water-or-milk-cookies

Other content types may be uncompressed. I *think* docker images typically
are uncompressed. They would certainly benefit.

-Mike