[Pulp-list] pulp3 publication

Brian Bouterse bmbouter at redhat.com
Fri Nov 8 17:46:23 UTC 2019

Hi Bin,

Thank you for your question. We talked this over some during the "open
floor" part of developer triage. There are a few use cases that motivate
allowing multiple publications of a single RepositoryVersion.

The main reason: Publishers could take various options which could make the
two publications meaningfully different even though they came from one
RepositoryVersion with the same content. For example, signing the
publication assets with two different signing keys. Or perhaps filtering
options that limit the types of content being published, e.g. skip drpms,
etc.

Small secondary reason: Even if the options aren't different, the metadata
timestamps would be so they aren't exactly identical. This is a technical
difference, not really a useful one, but we include it here for
completeness.

Also FYI, plugins could adjust this behavior, plugin-by-plugin so if ^
doesn't make sense for a specific plugin, the plugin developer could
enforce each RepositoryVersion has no more than 1 RepositoryVersion.

Please let us know how you think it could be improved (either in a specific
plugin or more broadly).

Best,
Brian