[Pulp-list] pulp_docker: whitelist upstreams

Dennis Kliban dkliban at redhat.com
Fri Oct 4 13:23:17 UTC 2019

On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 11:38 AM Dumont, Joey <Joey.Dumont at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca>
wrote:

> Hi,
>

> Before testing pulp, I would like to know if there is a supported way of
> doing this: I want to basically mirror only selected Docker images
> (upstreams in pulp?) such that users can do docker pull
> my-pulp-server:port/alpine, but not say, docker pull
> my-pulp-server:port/coin-mining-image.
>

> I looked at the workflows in the pulp_docker documentation (
> https://pulp-docker.readthedocs.io/en/latest/workflows/host.html), but
> this seems to associate a single repo in the distribution. Would it be
> possible to have multiple remotes served by the same distribution such that
> docker pull works for all of them?
>

> It is not possible to have one distribution serve multiple repository
versions. You have to create a Repository Version and a Docker Distribution
for each repository. The Docker Distribution reserves the URL space in the
/v2/ namespace of the Docker Registry API.

The feature you are describing sounds like a pull-through cache. We have
such a feature in the Maven plugin. The user of the Maven plugin creates a
Maven Remote and a Maven Distribution. Then when clients request content
from the distribution, Pulp streams it to the client from the Remote and
then saves it in Pulp for next time. It sounds like you would want to be
able to specify a whitelist of repositories that should be accessible to
clients. Does this sound right?

Please file a story[0] for this feature request. Due to the mutable nature
of tags, this would be not as straight forward of an implementation as
Maven, but it sounds like a useful feature.

[0] https://pulp.plan.io/projects/pulp_docker/issues/new