[Pulp-list] pulp_docker: whitelist upstreams

Dennis Kliban dkliban at redhat.com
Fri Oct 4 13:34:02 UTC 2019

On Fri, Oct 4, 2019 at 9:23 AM Dennis Kliban <dkliban at redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 3, 2019 at 11:38 AM Dumont, Joey <Joey.Dumont at nrc-cnrc.gc.ca>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>

>> Before testing pulp, I would like to know if there is a supported way of
>> doing this: I want to basically mirror only selected Docker images
>> (upstreams in pulp?) such that users can do docker pull
>> my-pulp-server:port/alpine, but not say, docker pull
>> my-pulp-server:port/coin-mining-image.
>>

>> I looked at the workflows in the pulp_docker documentation (
>> https://pulp-docker.readthedocs.io/en/latest/workflows/host.html), but
>> this seems to associate a single repo in the distribution. Would it be
>> possible to have multiple remotes served by the same distribution such that
>> docker pull works for all of them?
>>

>> It is not possible to have one distribution serve multiple repository
> versions. You have to create a Repository Version and a Docker Distribution
> for each repository. The Docker Distribution reserves the URL space in the
> /v2/ namespace of the Docker Registry API.
>
> The feature you are describing sounds like a pull-through cache. We have
> such a feature in the Maven plugin. The user of the Maven plugin creates a
> Maven Remote and a Maven Distribution. Then when clients request content
> from the distribution, Pulp streams it to the client from the Remote and
> then saves it in Pulp for next time. It sounds like you would want to be
> able to specify a whitelist of repositories that should be accessible to
> clients. Does this sound right?
>
> Please file a story[0] for this feature request. Due to the mutable nature
> of tags, this would be not as straight forward of an implementation as
> Maven, but it sounds like a useful feature.

It does not have to be a pull-through cache if there is a whitelist of
repositories. The list of the repositories could be used to sync all those
repositories into a single Repository Version in Pulp. Then a single Docker
Distribution could server that Repository Version. This would also make for
a good feature.