[Pulp-list] New install: v2 vs v3

Kodiak Firesmith kfiresmith at gmail.com
Thu Sep 12 14:38:59 UTC 2019

Hi Joey,
My point of view comes from being a long term end user of Pulp 2x only (not
a developer, much less a Pulp dev, FWIW):

Despite Pulp 2x being great, starting fresh on a tech evaluation, I'd 100%
pick Pulp 3.  Because:
1.  Pulp 3x/PulpCore is the next long term support code base, so it's the
branch with a long lifespan out in front of if within Satellite 6.
2.  Pulp 2x was (AFAICT) the branch where the vast majority of lessons were
learned throughout the course of the project, so it might carry an amount
of technical debt common with such ongoing lessons learned.
3.  Pulp 3x is more than an evolution of Pulp 2x, it's a completely new
codebase that uses Django rather than homebrew.  Adopting 3x from the
outset will save you a potentially difficult migration in the future.

Hope this helps, and I'm sure the core devs can hop in and correct me on
any mistakes in my reasoning.

 - Kodiak, a very happy Pulp 2x user