[Pulp-list] How to create issues?

Tobias Hochgürtel tobias.hochguertel at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 21 19:11:53 UTC 2020

Hey David,

Yeah I tried pulp 3 - and tried to create a container Registry with adding
a remote to the repository which created a new repository version which I
distributed.

But I wasn’t able to pull any image over this distributed - remote
repository to docker hub. I tried to figure out why and what is wrong for a
couple of hours but I wasn’t able to see the origin of the issue in this
time.
I decided then to give it up to work with pulp 3. I tried them at least to
create an issue but I wasn’t really clear where and how ...

I figured out - over a open pull request, that the stories are planned in
plan.io. To find the plan.io instance for pulp over a pull request ... is
also a bit “hidden” and not so really easy to find for some one - I think
in terms of that it’s like - yeah we are open for the community but - it’s
difficult.

I wasn’t sure if I can register there for free and then create an issue -
it was also looking more internally as that this project is open for the
community yet. I think there is a company behind pulp 3 which powers the
development.

But here later on the day... I played around with “Harbor” (a competitiver
 and had the same issue in the end with Harbor as I had with Pulp 3 and the
pulp_container plugin.

I found also a solution / or explaining for the issue which I had with
pulp3 and harbor. The origin is that docker hub has changed something in
their api, and that isn’t yet implemented in pulp 3 and harbor (and I thing
also in other container Registry solutions which are open source...)

I want to share for today the issue link to GitHub, where I added a comment
and a reference to pulp_container project on GitHub.

https://github.com/goharbor/harbor/issues/13740

The issue is “closed” - but that isn’t reflecting the current state of work
- because you see there that they working on a solution after clothing the
ticket - I think this is a mistake. And they had not the time to open it
again. But check this and speak internally about it? Or maybe it’s already
a known issue?

I think what you need in this project - when the discussion ended with no
result / decision, is someone who develops a bridge between GitHub issues
and plan.io (what is originally Redmine). I know redmine, because I worked
with it in my career.

I develop myself often missing integration “bridge” tools to combine two
tools to a great solution.

Hope this helps? I would like to have a better integration of GitHub issues
for pulp3 because that makes it bit more friendly and warm welcome for
contributions from the outside.

Speak to me when a integration bridge between plan.io and GitHub sounds as
a interesting solution. I mean when your devs can stay at plan.io and get
the things from GitHub synced - also when they add in plan.io a comment to
the mirrored issues from GitHub, these comments get synced back to
GitHub... then nobody will really have a gap - and not  notice from where
the issue is, but both worlds can communicate.

Kind regards,
Tobias

David Davis <daviddavis at redhat.com> schrieb am Mo. 21. Dez. 2020 um 14:24:

> Tobias,
>
> Glad to hear you are enjoying Pulp 3. We use https://pulp.plan.io/ to
> track our issues. For the pulp_container project, you can report an issue
> at https://pulp.plan.io/projects/pulp_container/issues/new (must be
> signed up and logged in).
>
> Your feedback regarding using Github to track issues is helpful. We
> discussed doing so a few months ago but the discussion died due to other
> higher priorities. I'm hopeful though we may have time to look at using
> Github Issues again in 2021.
>
> Thank you.
>
> David
>

> On Sun, Dec 20, 2020 at 10:00 PM Tobias Hochgürtel <
> tobias.hochguertel at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> I tried Pulp 3 via the container which the project provides. But I  got
>> some issues and tried to post a bug report like always on GitHub - but I
>> can’t.
>>
>> Is there a different location?
>>
>> I have issues with the pulp_container plugin.
>>
>> I like the thin, and clear architecture of pulp 3 ;) the docs are very
>> great written.
>>
>> But the development is not so transparent for me at the moment 😢.
>> (Because it’s not on completely on GitHub 🤨)
>>
>> Kind regards,
>> Tobias
>>

>> --
>>

>> Mit freundlichen Grüßen,