[Pulp-list] Jenkins pipeline integration

Tim Black timblaktu at gmail.com
Tue Jul 7 17:24:58 UTC 2020

Anyone using pulp for artifact management with Jenkins Pipelines, aside
from building and testing pulp project itself? I didn't find anything on
the pulp mailing list archives about Jenkins integration (and the #pulp IRC
channel has been a desert) and am looking for clarification and
suggestions.

I see in each plugin's Workflows documentation example bash scripts for
doing the basic mechanics of creating and syncing repos, publishing and
retrieving content, and I assume that's the intended starting point for
newcomers like myself. I just wanted to confirm this and wondered if anyone
knows of any prior work to wrap this up for easy integration into Jenkins
pipelines, e.g. Groovy wrappers around your scripts.

FWIW, my use case for pulp is to manage all intermediate and final
artifacts generated by several Jenkins pipelines for complex embedded,
desktop and web software projects. Our pipelines would be using the
following content plugins to retrieve and/or publish all of the (versioned)
artifacts that our pipelines build and/or use:

   1. pulp-deb for .debs
   2. pulp-python for python packages
   3. pulp-container for Docker images
   4. pulp-ansible for Ansible roles and collections
   5. pulp-file for everything else (this is actually the majority of our
   content)

We will be using pulp to manage not only the "final" pipeline output, i.e.
artifacts consumed by customers, but also intermediate build artifacts
which are used as a sort of build cache to speed up our development
process. Any other info or anecdotal reports related to these uses would be
interesting to me.

In case the above is not clear, what I'm looking for is the existence of
anything like this
<https://www.jfrog.com/confluence/display/JFROG/Jenkins+Artifactory+Plug-in>for
pulp.

Thanks,
Tim Black

p.s. I'm curious why the pulp devs chose to write the usage scripts in bash
when the rest of their application was in python.