[Pulp-list] Tuning Pulpcore Worker Count in Katello

William Clark wclark at redhat.com
Mon Jun 15 17:08:29 UTC 2020

Hello Pulp Community!

I'm working on a feature to allow the foreman-installer to set the number
of Pulpcore workers deployed on Katello or Content Proxy, and I require
some assistance from the Pulp community in setting sane defaults and limits.

With Pulp 2 in Katello, the default behavior was that the worker count
would match the number of logical CPUs up to a soft limit of 8. We advised
that users could tune the worker count higher but it was expected to cause
performance degradation in most cases due to I/O blocking. The largest
scale installation to my knowledge uses a Pulp 2 worker count of 16.

With Pulp 2 being replaced and rebuilt with Pulpcore, I'm looking to
understand what are the tuning best practices for the new technology, so
that we could apply them to Katello.

I am looking forward to hearing from you,

--

William Clark, RHCA

He/Him/His

Software Engineer