[Pulp-list] Pulp3 Automation

Maarten Beeckmans maartenb at inuits.eu
Tue Sep 29 14:22:24 UTC 2020

We are trying to automate our Pulp3 setup the same way as our Pulp2 setup.

We have the following use cases in our Pulp2 setup:

a) We create mirrors and repositories automatically for every environment (using puppet and the API). The repositories are defined in a yaml configuration file (Puppet Hiera).
- We have several problems for doing this in Pulp3. It's very complex to automatically create mirrors (ex. centos-8-appstream) for the development environment (that are in sync with the upstream repositories). A possible solution for this problem would be to add a 'latest' flag to publications and distributions so that they are always pointing to the latest version of the repository.
- It is possible to create the repositories with scripts, but that's specific and quite hacky. It's also not possible to automatically update the publications and distributions this way. We would need to keep a local copy of what distribution maps to what repository, but that's not a good idea. Why keep a local copy of the mapping if that's present in pulp.
b) We upload packages from one repository (that is not served to clients) to another repository based on lists in yaml (cherry picking), or straight from a (jenkins) Pipeline. This is done by the pulp-admin commands.
- cherry picking could be done by copying content from one repository to another using the copy API call, but we want to automatically expose those changes to the development environment (promotion can be done as in c).
- Uploading content isn't an issue because this is possible by converting the pulp-admin commands to api calls.
c) We want to be able to 'promote' a set of repositories from one environment to another. We are using a script that is generated by puppet when creating the repositories in a).
For 'promoting' a set of repositories to one environment to another environment, this is explained https://docs.pulpproject.org/pulpcore/workflows/promotion.html.

Thanks for all the work

Maarten