[Pulp-list] Installing Pulp 3.12.0 with ansible and a proxy server

Ben Stanley ben.stanley at gmail.com
Mon Apr 19 02:14:04 UTC 2021

Hello Pulp people,

I'm trying to install pulp 3.12.0 on RHEL 7.8 using the ansible method
documented at
https://docs.pulpproject.org/pulpcore/installation/instructions.html .

I have not yet managed to make it to the end of the pulp_install.yml
playbook without error. I have worked around 2 errors, but now I am
stuck on the third. I believe the root cause of my problems is trying to
use a proxy server. I have set the environment variables http_proxy,
https_proxy and proxy appropriately.

 1. At the step "TASK [pulp.pulp_installer.pulp_common : Import required
    EPEL RPM GPG keys]"
    (~/.ansible.collections/ansible_collections/pulp/pulp_installer/roles/pulp_common/tasks/repos.yml),
    the rpm_key module has two problems.
     1. The ansible rpm_key module fails to pass the proxy settings to
        the underlying rpm call.
        https://github.com/ansible/ansible/issules/19000
        I worked around this problem by replacing the rpm_key ansible
        module call with a raw line calling the rpm command directly,
        and specifying the proxy settings to use.
     2. The rpm --import <key-url> command uses curl internally.
        curl+proxy+https does not work, but curl+proxy+http works. Note
        also wget+proxy+https works.
        https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/441021/curling-a-https-url-via-a-proxy-results-in-nss-error-5938
        I worked around this problem by referencing the RPM-GPG key with
        a http URL instead of a https URL.
 2. At the step "TASK [pulp.pulp_installer.pulp_common : Upgrade to a
    recent edition of pip (supporting manylinux2014)]"
    (~/.ansible.collections/ansible_collections/pulp/pulp_installer/roles/pulp_common/tasks/install_pip.yml),
    ansible fails with the error text:
    fatal: [honeybee]: FAILED! => {"changed": false, "cmd":
    ["/usr/local/lib/pulp/bin/pip", "install", "pip>20.2"], "msg":
    "stdout: Collecting pip>20.2\n\n:stderr:   Retrying (Retry(total=4,
    connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after
    connection broken by
    'ConnectTimeoutError(<pip._vendor.urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection
    object at 0x7ffafd356dd8>, 'Connection to pypi.python.org timed out.
    (connect timeout=15)')': /simple/pip/\n  Retrying (Retry(total=3,
    connect=None, read=None, redirect=None, status=None)) after
    connection broken by
    'NewConectionError('<pip.vendor.urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection
    object at 0x7ffafd356ef0>: Failed to establish a new connection:
    [Errno 101] Network is unreachable',)': /simple/pip/\n  Retrying
    (Retry(total=1, connect=None, read=None, redirect=None,
    status=None)) after connection broken by
    'NewConnectionError('<pip._vendor.urllib3.connection.VerifiedHTTPSConnection
    object a 0x7ffafd356f98>:Failed to establish a new connection:
    [Errno 101] Network is unreachable .....
    I have not figured out how to work around this problem. It seems
    that the pip ansible command is also not passing on the correct
    proxy settings. I haven't even figured out how to work around this
    problem running pip manually yet.

It would be fantastic if I could get some help with these issues so that
I can get my pulp server upgraded from pulp2 to pulp3.

Thanks,
Ben Stanley.