[Pulp-list] Github Discussions

Grant Gainey ggainey at redhat.com
Thu Jun 3 14:12:33 UTC 2021

On Thu, Jun 3, 2021 at 9:40 AM David Davis <daviddavis at redhat.com> wrote:

> Based on feedback, I've moved discussions to its own repo:
> https://github.com/pulp/community/discussions.

Brillliant!

One discovery I made this week - for 'Meetings' threads that exist to have
meeting-minutes posted, the first entry should be a description of what the
meeting you're recording is for, and each set of minutes should be a
comment. This lets the reader sort by "Newest" and get
most-recent-minutes-first.The initial message in a discussion is always at
the top, no matter how you sort - so if it's your first meeting-minutes,
they'll always be first.

I redid the katello/pulp and community/pulp integration discussion-threads
(in their new location) in light of this, apologies to anyone who got some
notification-spam as a result this morning.

   - https://github.com/pulp/community/discussions/7
   - https://github.com/pulp/community/discussions/4

> David
>

> On Tue, May 25, 2021 at 1:49 PM David Davis <daviddavis at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> We've heard from the community about the amount of friction involved in
>> getting help with Pulp and one of the areas I think we could improve is
>> user communications. We currently run two mailing lists: pulp-list and
>> pulp-dev.
>>
>> At today's open floor meeting, we talked about using Github's new
>> Discussions feature[0] to host these conversations instead. I've set up a
>> Discussion against pulpcore[1] for us to try but here's also an example of
>> a project that has a lot of threads[2].
>>
>> I think the consensus was that we'd just keep pulpcore as our one and
>> only Github Discussions instance, which would serve as a replacement for
>> pulp-list and pulp-dev. I'd propose that we try this out for a bit and
>> eventually decommission our mailing lists.
>>
>> [0] https://docs.github.com/en/discussions
>> [1] https://github.com/pulp/pulpcore/discussions
>> [2] https://github.com/vercel/next.js/discussions
>>
>> David

Grant Gainey
Principal Software Engineer, Red Hat System Management Engineering