[Pulp-list] Freenode IRC & the Pulp Community

Danny Sauer danny.sauer at konghq.com
Thu May 20 16:09:39 UTC 2021

I can tell you that, despite being perfectly familiar with IRC (I've been
involved in open source since the early 90's), I've chosen to just avoid
reaching out in a lot of cases where I probably could've saved myself some
hassle.  To be honest, as soon as I see the biggest section on
https://pulpproject.org/help/ is "IRC", I internally think "oh, it's one of
_those_ projects" and resign myself to probably not getting interactive
help.  I didn't even notice the matrix support at the bottom of the page.
In the presentation today, matrix wasn't mentioned at all - just freenode.

This is just one guy's opinion, but I suspect that emphasizing IRC over
lower-friction mechanisms probably introduces a barrier that reduces
potential community involvement.