[Rdo-list] Ironic for RDO Juno

Kincl, Jason C. kincljc at ornl.gov
Thu Oct 16 19:48:30 UTC 2014

On Oct 15, 2014, at 7:14 PM, Arif Ali <mail at arif-ali.co.uk<mailto:mail at arif-ali.co.uk>> wrote:

On 15/10/14 22:37, Arash Kaffamanesh wrote:
Hi,

Is there any guide how to install and try Ironic on RDO Juno?

Thanks!
-Arash

Hi Arash,

I had a first attempt at it last week, after rc1 was release of ironic, and I did everything through source. My success was that I was able to power machines on and off through ironic.

So both the openstack-ironic, and python-ironic were compiled from source in my test

Firstly the openstack-nova in RDO didn't have the right libraries to have ironic working, but I think the new openstack-nova in the RDO repository since then should enable you to get working. Fortunately, I found the copr builds, which had the relevant material. This was able to help me advance to the stage I mention above.

Looking thtough the copr builds, there is now an RPM for openstack-ironic, which I haven't tested yet, but would be interesting to see what stage that is at, but even then we would need to recompile python-ironicclient to get the ironic commands to work

I used the howto in http://docs.openstack.org/developer/ironic/deploy/install-guide.html to get to where I did, and I was reasonably happy with the progress. I will probably look back at this again once I have finished with my current work on Heat templates and Controller HA setup

I hope that helps

Arif Ali

IRC: arif-ali at freenode
LinkedIn: http://uk.linkedin.com/in/arifali

Hi Arash,

So I am also looking at Ironic for Juno as well and the documentation has been hard to come by but I have found a few things:

https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/IronicWhiteBoard
https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/Using_Ironic_to_launch_instances_on_real_hardware

Note that since the Ironic project is moving at such a high velocity, documentation seems to almost be obsolete after it is written. These etherpads are where the Ironic devs are staging documentation and general project information and is probably the best place I have found to get information on the project.

Now that RDO has juno-rc1 and rc2 RPMs, you should be able to run Juno in RDO with Ironic. I have been tracking the progress of the Ironic integration into Nova and other OS projects and with rc1 all of the integration should be complete. But I am neither a Ironic developer or a Juno tester so YMMV :)

Thanks,

Jason Kincl
HPC Systems Administrator
National Center for Computational Sciences
Oak Ridge National Laboratory