[Rdo-list] Packstack and rdo-manager, looking forward.

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Wed Aug 5 19:33:46 UTC 2015

RDO Manager does a lot more than packstack.  Too much, for many use
cases, which is why we have people continuing to use packstack. Where do
people use packstack?

1.  Demos
2.  Development Work
3.  CI

I'm sure there are others, but lets start there.  I personally need
support for use cases 1 and 2. Can we get to the point where rdo-manager
can support these use cases?

There are, as I can see it, two potential approaches that could make
this work:

1.  Treat the undercloud deployment as an all-in-one, and not deploy the
overcloud.
2.  Have rdo-manager assume that the undercloud is already deployed, and
only deploy the overcloud.

Are there others?

I think that 2 is an interesting option?  What if ... we took something
like the next gen oslab and put only an rdo-manager undercloud out on
it?  Then...allowed multiple people to run rdo-manager --overcloud
against it, perhaps each with their own slice?

  I'm already deploying OpenStack on OpenStack.  If most of the business
logic/value add comes from the overcloud, can we split the deployment
along these lines?