[Rdo-list] Packstack and rdo-manager, looking forward.

Tim Bell Tim.Bell at cern.ch
Sat Aug 22 17:27:34 UTC 2015

CERN uses the RDO packages as the basis for the deployment to the 4,000 or soc Linux servers.  We use the cloudbase Windows packages for Hyper-V (a few hundred).

These are then glued together using the OpenStack puppet modules on both Windows and Linux.

We do use packstack for our R&D work. It provides a really simple way of bringing up a small OpenStack set up for newcomers in a few virtual machines to experiment or for us to evaluate if a backport of a recent feature is useful. This sort of case is shown by the RDO test days of new releases.

I have concerns that the rdo-manager model does not seem to address this packstack use case (unless the undercloud is also deployed using rdo-manager). Using devstack for these deployments would make it a much larger transition to a Puppet/RDO packaged based configuration for production.

Tim