[Rdo-list] openstack-puppet-modules branches

Alan Pevec apevec at gmail.com
Tue Dec 15 01:25:04 UTC 2015

Hi all (but specifically Puppet folks in CC :)

we need to rebase openstack-puppet-modules[1] (short OPM) to Mitaka
while leaving Liberty on the stable branch asap.
OPM is a special case in Delorean, it is built from master-patches,
not master like other projects, because there are always some patches
required by packstack or rdom which are not or cannot be merged in
upstream openstack-puppet.
For Delorean Liberty rdoinfo was not forked, instead Delorean was
modified to try distro and source branch specified in projects.ini[2]
then fallback to default rpm-master and master respectively. This
works nicely for most of the projects but fallback is not active when
branch is specified explicitly in rdoinfo, like it is for OPM
special-case[3].
Alternative solutions are:
1. fork rdoinfo for Liberty
2. modify Delorean to support this special case
3. modify OPM repo to match working schema for other projects

AD 1. I'm -2, fork for just one special case is unjustified and
keeping everything else in sync would be wasteful.
AD 2. After quick poking at it, clear -2 from me.
AD 3. Rename branches in OPM repo like this:
current master -> upstream-master (verbatim copies of upstream
modules' master branches)
master-patches -> master (non-upstream patches rebased on top of
upstream-master)
current stable/liberty -> upstream-liberty (verbatim copies of
upstream modules' stable/liberty branches)
liberty-patches -> stable/liberty  (non-upstream patches rebased on
top of upstream-liberty)

This would work immediately with current Delorean tooling, only
required change is to remove source-branch in rdoinfo for OPM,
and I hope OPM tooling could be modified easily to handle this change?

Cheers,
Alan

[1] https://github.com/redhat-openstack/openstack-puppet-modules
[2] https://github.com/redhat-openstack/delorean-instance/blob/2c182dd57c590cb17117d9e114bce72e13d6c394/delorean-user-data.txt#L201-L202