[Rdo-list] [Openstack] compute node secure message flood rootwrap.conf ovs-ofctl dump-flows br-int table=22

Lars Kellogg-Stedman lars at redhat.com
Tue Mar 24 12:52:40 UTC 2015

On Tue, Mar 24, 2015 at 02:22:18PM +0700, Chris wrote:
> On our compute nodes the /var/log/secure log get flooded with the same kind
> of messages:
>
> Mar 22 10:17:57 xxx sudo:  neutron : TTY=unknown ; PWD=/ ; USER=root ;
> COMMAND=/usr/bin/neutron-rootwrap /etc/neutron/rootwrap.conf ovs-ofctl
> dump-flows br-int table=22
>
> Any hint what's the purpose of this and how to fix it?

The purpose is that neutron is monitoring the flow rules in that
particular table, probably in order ensure they remain correct.
Because neutron is running as an unprivileged user, it needs to use
"sudo" to gain elevated privileges.

The `sudo` command is, by default, quite verbose, which makes sense in
an environment where 'sudo' commands happen rarely as the result of
manual administrator actions.  In an environment where it is part of
frequent automated tasks it can be an annoyance.

You can disable these messages for a *particular* user using syntax
like this:

    Defaults:neutron !syslog

This will disable syslogging of sudo activity for user "neutron" while
still leaving it enabled for everyone else.

--
Lars Kellogg-Stedman <lars at redhat.com> | larsks @ {freenode,twitter,github}
Cloud Engineering / OpenStack          | http://blog.oddbit.com/