[Rdo-list] reconsidering midstream repos

Fox, Kevin M Kevin.Fox at pnnl.gov
Tue May 26 19:23:43 UTC 2015

My 2 cents as an operator:

I upgraded a production cloud to Juno. Juno had an unexpected regression...
https://bugs.launchpad.net/neutron/+bug/1422476

Bug filed on:  2015-02-16

I proposed a working fix tested and working on our production cloud:
Feb 18, 2015 2:01 PM

The patch hit upstream Juno:

Upstream cares about the long term care and feeding of the code base more then the stability of it. If you follow the review, no one really commented on the fix, only nitpicked the unit tests. I'm all for the long term unit testing code being rock solid, but the fix should have gone in right away, and then care been spent on making nice unit tests. The project got what it needed, but the ops guys suffered in the mean time.

If you don't provide a way to apply fixes before they get upstreamed, your going to get some very unhappy operators I think since upstream doesn't care. :/

Thanks,
Kevin