[Rdo-list] Packaging the big tent (or at least part of it)

Haïkel hguemar at fedoraproject.org
Wed May 27 09:22:56 UTC 2015

> On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 10:17:50AM +1000, Graeme Gillies wrote:
>> This is an interesting idea. As we start to get more projects under big
>> tent and into RDO (and the projects themselves might be in various
>> states in terms of maturity and stability), it might be worthwhile
>> having some documentation somewhere on the RDO website on what big tent
>> projects are in RDO, and which one or more people have taken the
>> ownership of packaging and maintaining them. This might be at a level
>> higher than RPMs itself. Essentially some form of process/governance to
>> officially identify what's in RDO (to avoid duplicates) and give people
>> a way of identifying who's responsible if patches/work is needed (and
>> who to contact to offer help assisting maintenance).
>
> Possibly this is too heavyweight, but it may be that pkdb2
> <https://github.com/fedora-infra/pkgdb2> could be of help here. It's a
> webapp (open source, naturally) for both documenting this and managing
> the associated ACLs. See for example
> <https://admin.fedoraproject.org/pkgdb/package/openstack-heat/>

Feature-wise, pkgdb2 does the job but one issue is that RDO is a layered
product over two distros (CentOS, Fedora) and various releases.
That's an unsupported scenario by pkgdb2, and since the CentOS rise,
we're starting to have more and more cross-distro layered products.

AFAIK, we don't have any better tool than pkgdb2 that integrates with dist-git
and Koji. A single entry point would be a huge help for us, though.

H.