[Rdo-list] Packaging the big tent (or at least part of it)

Kashyap Chamarthy kchamart at redhat.com
Thu May 28 08:23:15 UTC 2015

On Thu, May 28, 2015 at 07:44:05AM +1000, Graeme Gillies wrote:
> > [...]
> >> If there was a possibility to improve that setup, I'm willing to give
> >> it a shot but we'd have at best to manage 2 instances
> >> of pkgdb.
> >
> > Oh, yeah, I was assuming a dedicated instance... On the theory that two
> > instances of the same thing is more desirable than one instance of this
> > and another instance of that.
> >

> While I think having an instance of pkgdb to maintain the ever growing
> package base in RDO is a good thing (especially as people start needing
> different acls for different packages for different projects), I still
> feel it's worthwhile having something higher level (even if it's just a
> wiki page) tracking the big tent projects themselves by name, and who is
> responsible for them (maybe links to some of the packages in pkgdb).
> Could also include a small description of the project, link to the git
> repo, and maybe a link to the bugzilla bug component for it.
>
> >From a user perspective pkgdb is a bit too low level (trying to figure
> out the package name for a project can be non-trivial sometimes, and
> some projects are complicated and have more than one "main package").
> All I want to know is "Is Designate in RDO? If not, has someone
> committed to packaging it? What's its progress? If it's in RDO, who's
> responsible for it? How do I flag problems?".

Agreed with your points from a user perspective.

But in the meantime, `pkgdb-cli` is not totally unusable though, I've
found it useful to query for some of the questions you pose.:

Install:

    $ dnf install packagedb-cli -y

Enumerate all the packages in the OpenStaack namespace (but that
doesn't enumerate clients though):

    $ pkgdb-cli list *openstack*

To find out ACLs on a certain package (this also provides the point of
contact details):

    $ pkgdb-cli acl openstack-nova

To request for ACL on a certain package:

    $ pkgdb-cli request $NAME-OF-PACKAGE $ACTION

Where $ACTION can be any of: 'watchbugzilla', 'watchcommits', 'commit',
'approveacls', 'all'.

The help options of the CLI has all the details. But I agree, it's not
entirely intuitive.

--
/kashyap