[Rdo-list] Slight tweak to allow easier rebuilding of RDO SRPMS for Operators

Graeme Gillies ggillies at redhat.com
Thu May 28 22:53:27 UTC 2015

Hi,

I attempting to rebuild an SRPM from RDO (openstack-ironic) to apply a
patch needed for my environment.

I was simply trying to do

yumdownloader --source openstack-ironic

rpm2cpio openstack-ironic-2015.1-dev684.el7.centos.src.rpm | cpio -i

# modify spec and apply patch

rpmbuild --define '%_srcrpmdir .' --define '%_sourcedir .' -bs
openstack-ironic.spec

mock openstack-ironic-2015.1-dev684.el7.centos.src.rpm

However this gives me a build failure with

/var/tmp/rpm-tmp.jyD2vL: line 35: cd: ironic-%{upstream_version}: No
such file or directory

I had a feeling this was because of the workflow introduced by delorean
(something I am not immediately familiar with).

I started looking at this page

https://www.rdoproject.org/packaging/rdo-packaging.html

And followed it through I understand what delorean is, what it's trying
to achieve, and how the macros work etc.

I was able to fix my build with by adding

%{!?upstream_version: %global upstream_version 2015.1.dev684}

I'm just wondering if it is possible to tweak the rpm specs that
delorean/RDO use to add such a conditional above to all rpms, so that it
is possible for us Operators to still rebuild these SRPMS as needed
using the tools we always have used.

While I can appreciate delorean and everything it does, from a pure
operators perspective, we aren't a fan of having to use custom tools to
build packages for all different products/infrastructure under our control.

If this could be done it would be very much appreciated!

Regards,

Graeme

--
Graeme Gillies