[Rdo-list] [Mitaka] Automatic restart for services

Perry Myers pmyers at redhat.com
Thu Nov 12 13:30:07 UTC 2015

On 11/12/2015 08:06 AM, Alan Pevec wrote:
>> can you describe what you mean here by automatic restart for services?
>>
>> I'm worried what the implications would be for things that are running
>> under Pacemaker control in an HA environment, so I think we need more
>> details here
>
> Can we have more details what "under Pacemaker control" means?
> Haikel's proposal is about modifying systemd service unit files but
> afaik Pacemaker is not using them but what they call "resource agents"
> ?

Not correct... not every service _has_ a resource agent. Mariadb/galera
and rabbitmq do, but all other services are controlled via Pacemaker via
their systemd scripts

So when you tell pacemaker to stop nova-api, it does so via systemd

If something outside of pacemaker knowledge (like user from command
line, or rpm %post or whatever) uses systemd directly to stop nova-api,
pacemaker says "OMG the service died" and tries to recover

Perry