[Rdo-list] [OpenStack-docs] [install-guide] Status of RDO

Matt Kassawara mkassawara at gmail.com
Tue Nov 3 19:21:24 UTC 2015

I agree that *-paste.ini files should remain static. Keystone contains the
only one that we need to edit (for security reasons) and the patch to move
this configuration out of keystone-paste.ini needs attention from the
keystone project. As for the installation guide, I prefer to unify the
documentation for editing keystone-paste.ini for all distributions.
Furthermore, our audience (mostly new users) likely feels more confident
about editing files that reside in a less "intimidating" location such as
/etc/$service.

Best I can tell, neutron (and all other services) separate "mandatory"
message queue access (the 'rpc_backend' option) from notification access
because the latter only pertains to deployments with a consumer for
notifications such as ceilometer. Without a consumer, notification queues
pile up and lead to stability problems. Hence, the 'notification_driver'
option defaults to a blank value that essentially disables such
notifications. The upstream configuration file comments this option out and
installation guide doesn't explicitly configure it which means neutron uses
the value of 'notification_driver' from the neutron-dist.conf file and
sends notifications to a queue without a consumer. While I'm thinking about
it, I'm trying to determine the source of a memory leak (or strange
increase in consumption) in my RDO Liberty environment (and prior releases)
and should try disabling the notification driver. In comparison, my Ubuntu
Liberty environment containing the same services and virtual resources has
stable memory usage.