[Rdo-list] Neutron-openswitch-agent configuration workaround in RDO Juno/Kilo and now in Liberty

Matt Kassawara mkassawara at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 15:22:38 UTC 2015

Several releases ago, neutron deprecated and removed the monolithic OVS and
Linux bridge plug-ins. During the deprecation cycle, the installation guide
changed the neutron instructions to use ML2 instead of the monolithic OVS
plug-in. However, the defunct configuration files
(plugins/openvswitch/ovs_neutron_plugin.ini and
plugins/linuxbridge/linuxbridge_conf.ini) lingered until the Liberty
release. The combination of migrating to ML2 and referencing configuration
files from the monolithic plug-ins (especially OVS with "plugin" in the
file name) caused significant confusion with our audience that already
struggles with neutron and installations in general. Some distributions and
deployment tools moved configuration for the OVS and Linux bridge agents
into the ml2_conf.ini file and changed the agent init scripts to read it.
At the time, implementing this approach in the installation guide seemed
like the best solution until neutron resolved the file name/location
problem in Liberty.