[Rdo-list] Blueprint: Delorean & Khaleesi

John Trowbridge trown at redhat.com
Tue Nov 10 15:39:50 UTC 2015

Removed internal list from CC.

On 11/07/2015 12:35 PM, Arie Bregman wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 7, 2015 at 12:07 AM, David Moreau Simard <dms at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> Can we extend this to rdo-list ? Sounds relevant to the community.
>>

> Sure, good idea. Adding rdo-list.
>

>> David Moreau Simard
>> Senior Software Engineer | Openstack RDO
>>
>> dmsimard = [irc, github, twitter]
>>

>> On Fri, Nov 6, 2015 at 4:36 PM, Wesley Hayutin <whayutin at redhat.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Arie,
>>> This looks good.
>>> Who is going to maintain the delorean ci job?
>>

> Who maintains it today? we'll have to discuss it. It might be good idea to
> add 'job owner/maintainer' info as we have in rhos CI.
>
>> Have you reached out to Derek Higgins about writing a replacement for the
>>> current delorean ci?
>>

> No. The work on this has just begun. Adding Derek to this mail.
>

>>> Thanks

>> 'delorean'

My main contention is that this actually would lower the "immediateness"
of the feedback. The fastest rdo-manager job we have using tempest smoke
is the non-ha job, and it currently takes 90 minutes. So instead of a
6min job to check the general sanity of the package we would have a
90min job running against every packaging change.

I am not really convinced that packaging changes break us often enough
to warrant that. Maybe that happens more on the core service side than
on the RDO-Manager side, but on the RDO-Manager side I do not think I
have seen a bad package change break everything in the year I have been
working on it. (and there have been plenty of total breakages in that
time to constitute a decent sample size)

>> if

I am not opposed to adding this functionality to khaleesi, as it seems
generally useful from a developer perspective. I am opposed to using it
to gate packaging changes, unless there is some evidence that we are
breaking everything with our packaging changes often enough to warrant a
15x or higher increase in the gate job.

>> https://github.com/openstack-packages/delorean/commit/66571fce45a007bcf49fd54ad7db622fd737874f
>>

> Interesting. any idea why this change? adding Alan.

We essentially rewrote mock in a docker container. Just using mock made
more sense from a maintainability standpoint.