[Rdo-list] Software Factory for RDO experiment

Graeme Gillies ggillies at redhat.com
Wed Oct 14 11:25:15 UTC 2015

On 10/14/2015 07:30 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 13/10/15 19:43, Haïkel wrote:
>> As David said, our infrastructure is scattered and as been a
>> constantly moving target so I'd consider this a step toward the right
>> direction.
>>
>> The advantages of this proposal being:
>> 1. stable infrastructure => less time spent on fixing the infrastructure
>> 2. customizable workflow thanks to zuul which could only result in
>> improving quality
>> 3. close the gap between upstream and downstream infrastructure
>> 4. self-hosted on RDO => that's a very important one
>>
>> I don't see any real negative points, so unless someone has a
>> different proposal, I suggest that we start with a PoC.
>> As the Liberty cycle is about to finish, we'll get some bandwidth to
>> work on our infrastructure so this is the best time to discuss this.
>>
>> Consolidating our infrastructure is a primary goal to open up RDO
>> governance further.
>>

> One thing that I dont understand here is what value this adds over the
> CentOS Build Services.. we can integrate with an existing source control
> setup ( or use git.c.o ) and we can do fairly extensive test hosting and
> a release cadence built on that.
>
> Or is the intention here to host software-factory as a RDO specific UI
> backed by the CentOS pipeline ?

I think it might also be worthwhile making something a bit clearer as
well. There is potentially two separate efforts in the works

1) To unify the hosting infrastructure and platform that all services
that are part of RDO run on. The current proposal is for a new Openstack
installation based on RDO itself to be deployed, in such a way that it's
deployed and maintained transparent to the community (and indeed,
conductive to community involvement). This has the potential to not only
be useful for the RDO project, but potentially the CentOS project as
well. The details of this are still being worked out, and I hope to
speak more about this when I have something more concrete.

2) The potential to run an instance of the Software Factory software to
leverage it as a workflow control tool for the development shipping
process of RDO itself. This discussion I think was the original purpose
of this thread, and is not tied to the final outcome of 1)

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Graeme

--