[Rdo-list] [OpenStack-docs] [install-guide] Status of RDO

Ihar Hrachyshka ihrachys at redhat.com
Wed Oct 21 10:22:21 UTC 2015

> On 21 Oct 2015, at 12:02, Alan Pevec <apevec at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> On 15 Oct 2015, at 20:31, Matt Kassawara <mkassawara at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> 4) Packages only reference upstream configuration files in standard
>>> locations (e.g., /etc/keystone).
>>
>> Not sure what exactly it means. RDO packages are using neutron-dist.conf that contains RDO specific default configuration located under /usr/share/ for quite a long time.
>
> Yes, it's about dist.conf that are unique solution to provide distro
> specific default values.
> I'm not sure how are other distros solving this if at all, they
> probably either rely on upstream defaults or their configuration
> management tools?
> Thing is that upstream defaults cannot fit all distributions, so I
> would expect all distros to pick up our dist.conf solution but we
> probably have not been exaplaning and advertising it enough hence
> confusion in the upstream docs.

I suspect other distros may just modify /etc/neutron/neutron.conf as they fit. It’s obviously not the cleanest solution.

I believe enforcing a specific way to configure services upon distributions is not the job of upstream, as long as default upstream way (modifying upstream configuration files located in /etc/<service-name>/*.conf) works.

Ihar