[Rdo-list] [packaging] heads-ups about python packaging guidelines

Haïkel hguemar at fedoraproject.org
Mon Sep 7 18:19:18 UTC 2015

Hi,

Fedora python guidelines have been updated with newer macros, affecting some of
our base dependencies.
To keep our packaging consistent and avoid error-prone workarounds to support
both Fedora and CentOS, I collected these in a rdo-rpm-macros.
https://github.com/hguemar/rdo-rpm-macros/

>From now onwards, we'll maintain macros in this package to ensure compatibility
between targets and simplify OpenStack packaging.

It has been added to CBS buildroot by alphacc
(search for rdo-rpm-macros:
http://cbs.centos.org/kojifiles/work/tasks/2021/32021/root.log)

Some recommendations:
* drop all the workarounds

* if you're updating an existing package (ie: python-xxx)
python2-xxx should obsolete python-xxx to avoid upgrade issues
Obsoletes: python-xxx <= <last version in fedora rawhide or CBS>

* new package: take care that we provides the proper name of the package
and not python-%{pypi_name}
Looks like pyp2rpm does not fix it for you.

* for new dependencies: prefer using python2-xxx instead of python-xxx as
default version of python may change in the future.
Please do *not* rush in changing all deps, keep existing requires!
Our priority should be stabilizing RDO Liberty now. This will be done
in Mitaka cycle.

Regards,
H.