[rdo-list] Multiple tools for deploying and testing TripleO

Wesley Hayutin whayutin at redhat.com
Wed Aug 3 13:00:46 UTC 2016

On Wed, Aug 3, 2016 at 5:23 AM, Frank Zdarsky <fzdarsky at redhat.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> you are familiar / too long of a post :) ).
>>
>> The InfraRed project is an Ansible based project comprised from three
>> distinct tools: (currently under the InfraRed[1] project, and being split
>> into their own standalone project soon).
>>
>> 1. ir-provisioner - responsible for building up a custom environment -
>> you can affect the memory, CPU,  HDD size, number of HDD each node has +
>> number of networks (with/without DHCP) so for example one can deploy the
>> following topology: (only an example to show the versatile options)
>> 1 undercloud on RHEL 7 with 16GB of ram + 60GB of HDD with 3 network
>> interfaces.
>> 3 controllers on Centos 7 with 8GB of ram  + 40GB of HDD
>> 2 compute on Centos 7 with 6GB of ram + 60GB HDD
>> 3 ceph nodes on RHEL 7 with 4GB of ram + 2 HDD one with 20GB + one with
>> 40GB
>>
>> Example usage: (setting up the above VMs with four different HW specs)
>> ir-provisioner virsh --host-address=<host.address>
>> --host-key=<host.private.key>
>> --topology-nodes=undercloud:1,controller:3,compute:2,ceph:3
>>
>> *Note: while it is written "controller/compute/ceph" this is just setting
>> up VMs, the names act more as a reference to the user of what is the role
>> of each node.
>> The installation of Openstack is done with a dedicated tool called
>> `ir-installer` (next)
>>
>> 2. ir-installer - responsible for installing the product - supports
>> "quickstart" mode (setting up a working environment in ~30 minutes) or E2E
>> mode which does a full installation in ~1h.
>> The installation process is completely customized. You can supply your
>> own heat templates / overcloud invocation / undercloud.conf file to use /
>> etc. You can also just run a specific task (using ansible --tags), so if
>> you have a deployment ready and just need to run say, the introspection
>> phase, you can fully choose what to run and what to skip even.
>>
>> 3. ir-tester - responsible for installing / configuring / running the
>> tests - this project is meant to hold all testing tools we use so a user
>> will be able to run any testing utility he would like without the need to
>> "dive in". we supply a simple interface requesting simple to choose the
>> testing tool and the set of tests one wishes to run and we'll do the work
>> for him :)
>>
>> More info about InfraRed can be found here[1] (though I must admit that
>> we still need some "love" around our docs)
>>
>> [1] - http://infrared.readthedocs.io/en/latest/
>>

> I agree cleanly separating and modularizing infrastructure provisioining
> (for some use cases like NFV ideally with mixed VM and baremetal
> environments), OS installation and testing is a good approach. In that
> context, what happened to Khaleesi [0]? Haven't seen that mentioned on the
> original list. Nor Apex [1], the installer from OPNFV that does not only
> address OpenStack itself, but also integration with complementary projects

I consider provisioning baremetal for either libvirt hosts or baremetal
installs is a separate project and conversation from the CI tools used to
deploy tripleo.
To be a little more clear, provisioning imho should be completely uncoupled
from the CI code that deploys tripleo.  Any team should be able to use
provisioner tools that best fit their needs.
If there is interest in collaborating on provisioners maybe we can do that
in another thread.  Why in another thread? Again my thought is they should
be uncoupled completely from our CI source code.

The rdo infra team is using two provisioners, both completely uncoupled
from tripleo-quickstart.

1. Ansible extra heat provisioner:  for ovb, written by Mathieu Bultel
https://github.com/ansible/ansible-modules-extras/commit/c6a45234e094922786de78a83db3028804cc9141

2. cico, the official client for ci.centos written by David Simard
http://python-cicoclient.readthedocs.io/en/latest/cli_usage.html

Our baremetal deployments do not require any provisioning outside of what
is done w/ ironic and tripleo.

Upstream tripleo ci provisioning is done via node pool and ovb.

FYI.. khaleesi has been deprecated and is no longer used by RDO infra.

Thanks