[rdo-list] Tempest Packaging in RDO

Steve Baker sbaker at redhat.com
Wed Aug 31 21:47:28 UTC 2016

On 31/08/16 19:59, Alan Pevec wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 30, 2016 at 11:45 PM, Steve Baker <sbaker at redhat.com> wrote:
>> We've discussed this multiple times and each time the consensus has been to
>> leave the tests in-tree. Developers really like the convenience in including
>> a functional/integration test in the same commit as a bug or feature. This
>> means there are currently no plans to create a new repo for heat tempest
>> tests.
> But how will you handle in-tree Tempest plugin in stable branches?
> Tempest is branchless and other in-tree plugins have been doing ugly
> things like checking out specific Tempest commit which is not
> packageable :(
>
> Alan

We're doing the following, which I think will mitigate branchless
concerns for now:

- minimal dependency on tempest imports, only tempest.config and
tempest.test_discover.plugins

- self contained config in the [heat_plugin] namespace

- config options like skip_functional_test_list and
skip_scenario_test_list so that latest tests can run against an old API
which lacks the required features for all tests

I realize keeping tests in-tree is a hassle for downstream packaging, at
least for now I'm in favor of keeping them in-tree but I will raise
packaging concerns when we discuss this again.

cheers