[Rdo-list] OPM downstream patches

Emilien Macchi emilien at redhat.com
Fri Jan 15 20:18:03 UTC 2016

On 01/12/2016 12:37 PM, Emilien Macchi wrote:
> So I started an etherpad to discuss why we have so much downstream
> patches in Puppet modules.
>
> https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/opm-patches
>
> In my opinion, we should follow some best practices:
>
> * upstream first. If you find a bug, submit the patch upstream, wait for
> at least a positive review from a core and also successful CI jobs. Then
> you can backport it downstream if urgent.
> * backport it to stable branches when needed. The patch we want is in
> master and not stable? It's too easy to backport it in OPM. Do the
> backport in upstream/stable first, it will help to stay updated with
> upstream.
> * don't change default parameters, don't override them. Our installers
> are able to override any parameter so do not hardcode this kind of change.
> * keep up with upstream: if you have an upstream patch under review that
> is already in OPM: keep it alive and make sure it lands as soon as possible.
>
> UPSTREAM FIRST please please please (I'll send you cookies if you want).
>
> If you have any question about an upstream patch, please join
> #puppet-openstack (freenode) and talk to the group. We're doing reviews
> every day and it's not difficult to land a patch.
>
> In the meantime, I would like to justify each of our backports in the
> etherpad and clean-up a maximum of them.
>
> Thank you for reading so far,

Wow. Lot of thoughts, lot of interest, I like it!

So this thread is having lot of ideas, proposals, facts, etc.
I'm opening https://etherpad.openstack.org/p/rdo-opm and gathering the
data from this thread.

Feel free to open it and contribute,
I hope from this etherpad we'll find a plan for the next steps.

Thanks,
--
Emilien Macchi