[rdo-list] TripleO UI Packaging Strategy

Honza Pokorny hpokorny at redhat.com
Tue Jul 19 14:53:34 UTC 2016

On 2016-07-19 16:29, Haïkel wrote:

> > So a couple of questions, assuming/suggesting the following workflow:
> >

> > 1. In a first step, we make sure the build tools and dependencies exist as
> > node modules on the build system, so it can compile the target JS files from
> > it. We make sure all dependencies have compatible licenses.
> >
> > 2. On each new tripleo-ui release, the build system compiles new target JS
> > files using the dependencies from step 1.
> >
> > 3. The build system adds the compiled files to the new package (which is
> > otherwise based on the tripleo-ui distgit repo).
> >

> > Questions:
> >
> > - Is this workflow plausible/acceptable/feasible?
> >

> Yes, though I'm not sure what you understand as build system.
> Build system has no internet access, and except baseOS, only things
> available are provided sources + dependencies declared as
> BuildRequires (must be packaged)

I guess this is the biggest problem: our build system is responsible for
both fetching any dependencies and for actually building the project.
Preferably, we'd like to run "npm install" from the RPM spec.  This step
requires internet access, and therefore violates one of the rules. Since
our dependencies are fixed/pinned, there is a fair degree of certainty
that the dependencies will be the same each time the build is run[1].
Npm install brings in sources, not artifacts.

What would be your preferred solution?  Should we try and use xstatic?
We could also bundle our dependencies along with the source tarball ---
would that ease your mind?

[1]: Yes, I know about the leftpad fiasco :)