[rdo-list] OpenStack Puppet Module format change (Newton-forward)

Ben Kero bkero at redhat.com
Mon Jun 6 18:54:33 UTC 2016

Hello all,

This should not come has a great surprise for some, but I realized recently
that i should probably reach a larger audience.

We're changing the way that we handle puppet module packages in Newton (and
future releases).

The previous way of handling Puppet modules for RDO was to bundle them all
together into a single "OpenStack-Puppet-Modules" package. This involved a
lot of thankless manual work to merge all the modules into a single
repository [1]. This will still be the case for Kilo, Liberty, and Mitaka
releases.

However, for upcoming releases such as Newton, we will be splitting out the
OpenStack Puppet Modules into individual packages (example: puppet-nova
[2]) and accompanying -distgit repository [3]. There will still be a
'openstack-puppet-modules' metapackage [4] that will install all the
dependent modules for folks that need it. It is entirely possible to select
only the modules that you need for your particular installation though.

This message should also serve as notice to RDO contributors still doing
ports on the mono-repo. The changes made to the master branch will no
longer be picked up and used.

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns about the shift to
this new format. I would be happy to help clarify or respond to your
concerns. I can be reached as 'bkero' on IRC.

--
Ben Kero
RedHat, Engineer, OPM-CI

[1] https://github.com/redhat-openstack/openstack-puppet-modules