[Rdo-list] [packstack] New upstream integration gate jobs

David Moreau Simard dms at redhat.com
Wed Mar 2 22:04:00 UTC 2016

Hi everyone !

Throughout the Mitaka cycle, we have been working hard towards getting
Packstack to test itself with a self-installed Tempest implementation
and I'm excited to announce that it's a great success !

This effectively allowed us not only to add three different
integration tests right within Packstack itself [1] but also to find
and resolve several issues thanks to these new tests.

We have been testing the three test scenarios for a while as
non-voting jobs and after some tweaking, they are ready for prime
time.
Thus, I'd like to draw your attention to the fact that the three test
scenarios will be made "voting" and "gating" shortly [2].

This means that each and every patch set will need to pass these tests
before merging into the repository.
We all know that gate jobs can be inconvenient or break due to reasons
beyond your control but it is a necessarily evil.

There are several benefits to these new gate jobs, both for Packstack
users and the RDO community:
- New patches will be tested against the wide range of supported
Packstack project implementations as defined in the test matrix [1],
ensuring a patch does not have unintended regressions or issues
- These patches will be tested using the "current-passed-ci" RDO trunk
repository packages for the ongoing cycle (master branches) and stable
releases from Mitaka onwards
- The three Packstack integration tests will be implemented in the RDO
CI test pipeline for stable package promotion with WeIRDO [3], so RDO
will use Packstack as a way to test RDO packages before declaring
packages stable

This is a first step of many to straighten Packstack up, improving
it's stability, quality and standards.
As the fourth most popular OpenStack installer [4], we owe the
community no less than making sure it works well.

If you have any questions or comments, feel free to discuss on the
thread or reach out to us on #rdo on freenode.

Thanks !

[1]: https://github.com/openstack/packstack#packstack-integration-tests
[2]: https://review.openstack.org/#/c/287461/
[3]: https://github.com/redhat-openstack/weirdo