[Rdo-list] TripleO Liberty issues and workarounds

Charles Short cems at ebi.ac.uk
Mon Mar 14 17:28:18 UTC 2016

Hi,

I thought I would report some issues and workarounds deploying on HP G6
blades following -

http://docs.openstack.org/developer/tripleo-docs/basic_deployment/basic_deployment_cli.html#

My Undercloud is CentOS7 and I wanted to deploy my Overcloud with the
same distro.

So I found some images here -

https://ci.centos.org/artifacts/rdo/images/liberty/delorean/stable/

However introspection hung every time with timeout errors.

My hunch was that the images were the issue so I tried to build my own.
Using the guide above I created some images (after overcoming proxy
issues documented previously).
I still had introspection timeouts.
So I thought maybe instead of using the generic CentOS cloud image the
build utility provides by default I would try and specify one -

export DIB_CLOUD_IMAGES="http://cloud.centos.org/centos/7/images/"
export BASE_IMAGE_FILE="CentOS-7-x86_64-GenericCloud-1511.qcow2"

This image was the same version as my Undercloud.

This worked and introspection ran fine with no timeouts with the new
images :)

I then  tried to deploy a stack (Overcloud).... and the nodes ended up
in grub rescue mode :(
The initial PXE kernel deployment worked fine, but they rebooted into
grub rescue mode.

I suspected the flavor was to blame and looked at the baremetal
properties and saw the boot options were set to 'local'. For this to
work grub2 needs
to be configured in the image -

http://docs.openstack.org/developer/ironic/deploy/install-guide.html#local-boot-with-partition-images

So I tried recreating the baremetal flavor without the 'local' boot
option capability (unsure whether grub2 was configured or not in the image)

I redeployed and the Overcloud stack deployed successfully :)

Charles

--
Charles Short
Cloud Engineer