[Rdo-list] Packstack tagging

David Moreau Simard dms at redhat.com
Fri Mar 18 15:38:15 UTC 2016

For context, when working on release notes for Packstack with Reno I
noticed that it relied on git tags for providing version-based release
notes [1].

> Notes are immutable in that for a given git hash/tag the release notes will be the same. Tagging a commit will change the version description but that is all.

Since Packstack doesn't have any tags right now, Reno builds the
following notes:
---
=============
Release Notes
=============

0.0.0
=====

Release notes for Packstack are now managed through Reno.
---

Reno allows release notes to be fit between two tags appropriately,
i.e, like the Nova ones [2].
Tagging is also relied on by PBR when generating version numbers and
I'd like to see Packstack transition it's setup to PBR eventually [3].

Packstack is known as 8.0.0 for Mitaka already, so let's just start
with that IMO.
We can start at rc1 instead of b1 at this point I guess - the
stable/mitaka branch is already cut.
The proposed scheme also fits puppet module release tags [4].

I don't know if a tag for Liberty is necessary, we can probably start
for Mitaka.

[1]: http://docs.openstack.org/developer/reno/design.html
[2]: http://docs.openstack.org/releasenotes/nova/unreleased.html
[3]: https://bugs.launchpad.net/packstack/+bug/1559150