[rdo-list] CentOS OpsTools (logging, monitoring, etc.) SIG proposal

Arash Kaffamanesh ak at cloudssky.com
Fri May 20 23:55:23 UTC 2016

Great!

I'm currently working on how to bring log- and application- performance
monitoring under the same roof for cloud-native and highly distributed
applications on top of OpenStack w/ Cloud Foundry or OpenShift and
Kubernetes add-ons and define some best practices (needs) to build a
simple, though effective cloud native application monitoring solution for
BizDevOps (yet another buzz :-)).

My 10 BizDevOps needs are:

   1. Bring log and performance monitoring under the same roof, by
   providing a seamless correlation between log and performance metrics.
   2. Provide intuitive pre-built monitoring interfaces and dashboards for
   everybody and for different roles and organizations (BizDevOps) (note:
   people lack the time and sometimes the skills to configure a monitoring
   tool).
   3. Build dedicated dashboards for transaction and correlation analysis
   to figure out the usual suspects like, memory leaks, garbage collection,
   saturated thread pools and hundreds of unusual suspects which might be the
   root cause of problems.
   4. Enhance the quality of logs (on paas and apps level) and define
   custom metrics which are specific to our cloud-native applications and
   visualize these metrics on custom dashboards for tenants w/ different roles.
   5. Analyze long term-trends such as how big is my database and how fast
   is it growing? How quickly is my daily-active user count growing?
   6. Implement innovative ideas such as data mining, forecasting and
   advanced analytics support to provide added value to the monitoring
   solution.
   7. Get alerts on issues before customers notice, use the monitoring tool
   as an early warning system, and analyze application performance before and
   after new code deployments.
   8. If using remediation actions which are triggered through the
   monitoring solution, first require human approval before the script is
   executed (this provides a better understanding of the root cause of the
   problem and how to eliminate it in long term).
   9. Implement a simple, though an effective alerting system with clear
   alerting escalation path and low noise (rules that generate alerts for
   developers or operators should be simple to understand and represent a
   clear failure).
   10. Combine heavy use of white-box monitoring with modest but critical
   uses of black-box monitoring and learn from others like Google about how
   they are monitoring their highly distributed systems:
   https://www.oreilly.com/ideas/monitoring-distributed-systems

To achieve the above needs, I'm investigating the following tools to bring
log and performance monitoring under the same roof for my current needs:

   - ELK / EFK Stack
   - Hawkular:  http://www.hawkular.org/
   - Stagemonitor http://www.stagemonitor.org/
   - cAdvisor https://github.com/google/cadvisor

and I think these BizDevOps-Tools might be the right choice to start with
and I'd be happy to be of help.

Cheers,
Arash