[rdo-list] Understanding Policy.Json, for domain authorization

Adam Young ayoung at redhat.com
Tue Nov 1 21:54:54 UTC 2016

On 11/01/2016 05:17 PM, Taisto Qvist wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I've run into a wall with making openstack domain auth working, and I
> dont know where to get help, so I am trying here. I've created a
> question on:
>
> https://ask.openstack.org/en/question/98429/project-specific-admin-unable-to-list-users-or-use-horizon/
>
> ..but no-one seems to be able to help.
>
> Since I wrote that, I've gotten as far as creating a working
> cloud-wide admin(the policy trigger for cloud_admin matching against
> domain_id, didnt seem to work for the default domain...?), and that
> user is now working fine as super-mega-admin.
Can you post what your cloud_admin rule looks like?

> But my old admin user, that has admin rights only in the default
> domain, admin project, cant list users, or projects, in the default
> domain.

admin_and_matching_domain_id:  But his domain must not be matching: If
he has a domain scoped token for another domain, it will not be valid
for the default.

> And sureley he should be able to, with the rules:
>
>     "admin_and_matching_domain_id": "rule:admin_required and
> domain_id:%(domain_id)s",
>     "identity:list_users": "rule:cloud_admin or
> rule:admin_and_matching_domain_id",
>
> I've tried to find comprehensive and up2date references on how to read
> the policy.json syntax, but no success so I am unsure on how to
> interpret the rule exactly though.
> I tried changing to:
>
>     "admin_and_matching_domain_id": "rule:admin_required and
> domain_id:%(/target/.domain_id)s",

Have you been using the CLI to test your changes? It might greatly
simplify things.  I'd also recommend using pdb and actually stepping
through the code executed:  you can learn a lot this way.

> after looking at the rule for:
>
>     "identity:get_project": "rule:cloud_admin or
> rule:admin_and_matching_target_project_domain_id or
> project_id:%(target.project.id <http://target.project.id>)s",

Again, in this rule, you have explicit matching.  The token either needs
to match the domain ID or the project ID.