[rdo-list] [TripleO] Newton large baremetal deployment issues

Graeme Gillies ggillies at redhat.com
Mon Nov 14 00:20:30 UTC 2016

On 12/11/16 02:48, Charles Short wrote:
> Update -
>
> I updated Undercloud to latest stable Newton release, and used the
> provided CentOS Overcloud images. I first completed a small test
> deployment no problem (3 controller 3 compute) .
> I then deployed again with a larger environment (40 compute, 3
> controllers).
> When the nodes were up and ACTIVE/pingable early in deployment I checked
> the hosts files. This time no formatting errors.
>
> However during deployment there were lots of long pauses and I noticed
> plenty of these sorts of messages in the nova logs during the pauses -
>
> /var/log/nova/nova-compute.log:2016-11-11 19:56:07.322 7840 ERROR
> nova.compute.manager [instance:
> f6fd4127-fc94-4a36-9b3b-5e4f21bd08ed]     raise
> exceptions.ConnectTimeout(msg)
> /var/log/nova/nova-compute.log:2016-11-11 19:56:07.322 7840 ERROR
> nova.compute.manager [instance: f6fd4127-fc94-4a36-9b3b-5e4f21bd08ed]
> ConnectTimeout: Request to
> http://192.168.0.1:9696/v2.0/ports.json?tenant_id=30401f505075414fbd700f028412977f&device_id=f6fd4127-fc94-4a36-9b3b-5e4f21bd08ed
> timed out
>
> While this was happening I could not use nova from the Undercloud at all-
>
> source stackrc
> nova list
> ERROR (ClientException): The server has either erred or is incapable of
> performing the requested operation. (HTTP 500) (Request-ID:
> req-367c9ac2-6f27-4e71-a451-681c8c3d2ce5)
>
> After 2 hours of deployment and only on Step 1 of 5 the deployment fails
> with -
>
> ERROR: Timed out waiting for a reply to message ID
> 971157a211e549998bb7a6f6e494688b
>
> note - I have a timeout value way over 2 hours in the deployment
> commands (2000)
>
> Post failed deployment I still cannot use nova. Looks like the
> Undercloud is very unhappy (same error as above)
>
> The only way I can get the Undercloud working again is to restart all
> services (restarting nova alone does not work)
> sudo systemctl restart neutron*
> sudo systemctl restart openstack*
>
> I think I may try OSP9 as I am running out of ideas. Either that or
> giving Openstack-Ansible a try.....
>

> Charles

So the symptoms you are showing me above almost definitely leads me to
believe that neutron-server failed on the undercloud, which would
explain why the deploy and nova failed to work. It could have failed
before or during the deploy. We regularly see instances where
neutron-server times out upon system boot (takes slightly longer to
start than systemd expects), so we need to start it manually.

To be clear, The undercloud has been installed using this repo

http://buildlogs.centos.org/centos/7/cloud/x86_64/rdo-trunk-newton-tested/

Which overcloud images are you using? I'm not seeing any provided in
that repo, and I just want to make sure the undercloud and overcloud
packages match (as the tripleo-heat-templates package on the undercloud
has to align with the openstack-puppet-modules package on the overcloud
iamges).

Also, is it possible to get a copy of all the neutron-server log from
the undercloud? If we can understand why neutron-server failed, that is
the first step towards getting a working deployment.

It would be great if we could get a full sosreport with all the system
logs, to check for other errors. I'm assuming there were no problems
with the 'openstack undercloud install' process?

Regards,

Graeme