[rdo-list] [TripleO] Newton large baremetal deployment issues

Graeme Gillies ggillies at redhat.com
Tue Nov 15 23:40:30 UTC 2016

On 16/11/16 08:39, Charles Short wrote:
> Hi,
>
> So I have finally tried OSP9 and here are the results -
>
> 3 Controllers 40 compute - 1 hours 20 mins to deploy.
>
> This is much more the sort of deployment time I was expecting :)
>
> I then tried TripleO Newton Stable again with  3 Controllers 40 Compute -
>
> 4 hours and counting.....
>
> The two deployment scripts (for OSP9 and TripleO Newton) were pretty
> much identical (allowing for any changes between releases)
>
> During the OSP9 deployment I could use nova list to list the nodes. The
> Undercloud API access was in general very responsive.
>
> During the TripleO Newton deployment 'nova list' hangs -
> ERROR (ClientException): The server has either erred or is incapable of
> performing the requested operation. (HTTP 500)
> Undercloud API access was very sluggish.
> I noticed Keystone was stuck at 140% for most of the deployment (albeit
> multi threaded) which is not the case for OSP9.
>
> I know it is hard to compare two releases, but the difference is enormous.
> I will stick with OSP9 for now as this for me works properly out of the
> box for  large deployments.
>
> Charles

Hi Charles,

Thanks for letting us know about your results, this obviously narrows it
down to an issue introduced in newton timeframe (OSP 9 is mitaka). If
you are still able to provide any logs from the undercloud that
failed/took ages for the update that would be good, as any issue like
this I would like to understand before it hits other users. However, if
you haven't got the time/inclination at this stage, I understand.

I'll keep an eye out for it affecting other users.

Regards,

Graeme

--
Graeme Gillies