[rdo-list] Adding backwards compatible tripleo-heat-templates packaging

Javier Pena javier.pena at redhat.com
Mon Sep 5 14:47:50 UTC 2016

----- Original Message -----
> On Fri, Sep 2, 2016 at 6:04 PM, Alan Pevec <apevec at redhat.com> wrote:
> >> * A single srpm if at all possible
> >
> > Why is that a requirement? Usually in rpm world you create separate
> > parallel installable compat package by adding version to the package
> > name e.g. we had python-webob1.2 in the past.
> > THT mitaka is 2.x so what about creating a new package
> > openstack-tripleo-heat-templates2 ?
>
> We could do that and it's ok, really.  It just means a new package
> process for every release of OpenStack.  There is no real clean
> mapping historically of THT version to OpenStack version.  How does
> someone know that tht2 is mitaka?  When we reach ocata and have to
> have a BC package, it's tht5 which is newton.  (We could simply name
> it openstack-tripleo-heat-templates-mitaka).

I think something like this (having an openstack-tripleo-heat-templates-compat-mitaka package or similar) would work best.

This would also allow us to decide when to drop support for older releases. Newton will have a mitaka-compat package, but we'll sure drop it in a later release, won't we? We could then just control which packages are built for each release using rdoinfo.

Javier