[rdo-list] Recent RDO blog posts

Rich Bowen rbowen at redhat.com
Tue Sep 27 19:56:55 UTC 2016

Here's what RDO enthusiasts have been blogging about:

*LinuxCon talk slides: “A Practical Look at QEMU’s Block Layer
Primitives”* by Kashyap Chamarthy

    Last week I spent time at LinuxCon (and the co-located KVM Forum)
    Toronto. I presented a talk on QEMU’s block layer primitives.
    Specifically, the QMP primitives block-commit, drive-mirror,
    drive-backup, and QEMU’s built-in NBD (Network Block Device) server.

… read more at http://tm3.org/9x

*Complex data transformations with nested Heat intrinsic functions* by
Steve Hardy

    Disclaimer, what follows is either pretty neat, or pure-evil
    depending your your viewpoint ;) But it's based on a real use-case
    and it works, so I'm posting this to document the approach, why it's
    needed, and hopefully stimulate some discussion around optimizations
    leading to a improved/simplified implementation in the future.

… read more at http://tm3.org/9y

*Red Hat OpenStack Platform 9 is here! So what’s new?* by Marcos Garcia

    This week we released the latest version of our OpenStack product,
    Red Hat OpenStack Platform 9. This release contains more than 500
    downstream enhancements, bug fixes, documentation changes, and
    security updates. It’s based on the upstream OpenStack Mitaka
    release. We have worked hard to reduce the time to release new
    versions and have successfully done so with this release! Red Hat
    OpenStack Platform 9 contains new Mitaka features and functionality,
    as well as the additional hardening, stability, and certifications
    Red Hat is known for. Of course, there continues to be tight
    integration with other key portfolio products, as well as
    comprehensive documentation.

… read more at http://tm3.org/9z

*Deploying Server on Ironic Node Baseline* by Adam Young

    My team is working on the ability to automatically enroll servers
    launched from Nova in FreeIPA. Debugging the process has proven
    challenging; when things fail, the node does not come up, and there
    is little error reporting. This article posts a baseline of what
    things look like prior to any changes, so we can better see what we
    are breaking.

… read more at http://tm3.org/9-

*A retrospective of the OpenStack Telemetry project Newton cycle* by
Julien Danjou

    A few weeks ago, I recorded an interview with Krishnan Raghuram
    about what was discussed for this development cycle for OpenStack
    Telemetry at the Austin summit.

… read more at http://tm3.org/a0

*Deploying Fernet on the Overcloud* by Adam Young

    Here is a proof of concept of deploying an OpenStack Tripleo
    Overcloud using the Fernet token Provider.

… read more at http://tm3.org/a1

*OpenStack Infra: Understanding Zuul* by Arie Bregman

    Recently I had the time to explore Zuul. I decided to gather
    everything I learned here in this post. Perhaps you’ll find it
    useful for your understanding of Zuul.

… read more at http://tm3.org/a2

*OpenStack Infra: How to deploy Zuul* by Arie Bregman

    This is the second post on Zuul, which focuses on deploying it and
    its services. To learn what is Zuul and how it works, I recommend to
    read the previous post.

… read more at http://tm3.org/a3

*Scaling-up TripleO CI coverage with scenarios* by Emilien Macchi

    When the project OpenStack started, it was “just” a set of services
    with the goal to spawn a VM. I remember you run everything on your
    laptop and test things really quickly. The project has now grown,
    and thousands of features have been implemented, more backends /
    drivers are supported and new projects joined the party. It makes
    testing very challenging because everything can’t be tested in CI
    environment.

… read more at http://tm3.org/a4

*Introducing patches to RDO CloudSIG packages* by Jakub Ruzicka

    RDO infrastructure and tooling has been changing/improving with each
    OpenStack release and we now have our own packaging workflow powered
    by RPM factory at review.rdoproject.org, designed to keep up with
    supersonic speed of upstream development.

… read more at http://tm3.org/a5

*From decimal to timestamp with MySQL* by Julien Danjou

    When working with timestamps, one question that often arises is the
    precision of those timestamps. Most software is good enough with a
    precision up to the second, and that's easy. But in some cases, like
    working on metering, a finer precision is required.

… read more at http://tm3.org/a6

*Generating Token Request JSON from Environment Variables* by Adam Young

    When working with New APIS we need to test them with curl prior to
    writing the python client. I’ve often had to hand create the JSON
    used for the token request, as I wrote about way back here. Here is
    a simple bash script to convert the V3 environment variables into
    the JSON for a token request.

… read more at http://tm3.org/a7

*Actionable CI* by Assaf Muller

    I’ve observed a persistent theme across valuable and successful CI
    systems, and that is actionable results. A CI system for a project
    as complicated as OpenStack requires a staggering amount of energy
    to maintain and improve. Often times the responsible parties are
    focused on keeping it green and are buried under a mountain of
    continuous failures, legit or otherwise. So much so that they don’t
    have time to focus on the following questions:

… read more at http://tm3.org/a8

*Thoughts on Red Hat OpenStack Platform and certification of Tesora
Database as a Service Platform* by Ken Rugg, Chief Executive Officer, Tesora

    When I think about open source software, Red Hat is first name that
    comes to mind. At Tesora, we’ve been working to make our Database as
    a Service Platform available to Red Hat OpenStack Platform users,
    and now it is a Red Hat certified solution. Officially collaborating
    with Red Hat in the context of OpenStack, one of the fastest growing
    open source projects ever, is a tremendous opportunity.

… read more at http://tm3.org/a9

Rich Bowen - rbowen at redhat.com
RDO Community Liaison
http://rdoproject.org