Leif Madsen lmadsen at redhat.com
Wed Jul 12 18:36:55 UTC 2017

On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 11:52 AM, Rich Bowen <rbowen at redhat.com> wrote:

> It has been proposed that we move the mailing lists (there's three of
> them - rdo-list, rdo-newsletter, and rdo-infra-list ) to @rdoproject.org
> addresses, and, in the process, split rdo-list into dev at rdoproject.org
> and users at rdoproject.org
>
> The subscriber lists for newsletter and infra would simply be copied
> over, since they are broadcast-only.
>
> For the split from rdo-list to dev@ and users@, we would initially
> simply copy the subscriber list to both of the new lists, and then
> encourage people to unsubscribe from the one that they're not interested
> in.
>
> The goal of the split is to make the users list more welcoming to
> beginner/user type questions, while keeping the high technical level of
> the existing dev list.
>
> The goal of moving from @redhat.com is to reemphasize that this is not
> just a Red Hat project, and encourage more participation from outside of
> Red Hat.

This all sounds great to me. Big +1.

> There remains one important question holding up this migration, which is
> what to do about the archives. We can:
>
> 1) Just leave them where they are now, and start fresh. This is easier,
> but potentially "loses" history. (That is, it'll still be there, but
> less obvious where to find it.)

Would it be easy-ish to simply link from the new archives page to the old
archives? We'd have a split-brain, but honestly it's probably already
archived in various search engines, and a handy link would make it clear
how to access the old archives.

> 2) Migrate all of the archives over to the new list. This is held up by
> https://gitlab.com/mailman/hyperkitty/issues/144 which isn't getting a
> lot of attention.
>
> 2.5) Migrate the archives and just be ok with losing some of the
> messages? Doesn't seem ideal, but it's an option, and would get us
> moving faster.

I'm never a fan of delaying a good thing because of a hard thing :)

--
Leif Madsen | Partner Engineer - NFV & CI
NFV Partner Engineering