Re: [redhat-ccm-list] IBM 1.4 JVM

On Thu, 2003-01-16 at 08:19, Jun Yamog wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying out IBM's 1.4 SDK.  So far using apache bench it seems to
> faster than IBM 1.3.1, unlike Sun 1.4.1 which just blows up in Linux.  I
> am aware the recommended is still IBM 131.  Although I would like to try
> out 1.4 since its a bit faster in starting up.  I did encounter a
> problem that relates to JAAS.  In 1.4 JAAS is already bundled in.  For
> some reason its does not contain SHA1PRNG algo?  The log is shown
> below.  This happens when a new user is created, or when CCM starts for
> the first time when it creates the admin account.  Sun 1.4.1 runs fine,
> but can not run that long since it blows up with Not Enough Memory.
>
> The process would like be when it encrypts the password, not sure though
> its just a guess.  Anyone have any luck in using IBM 1.4?
Apparently you're out of luck here, as IBM's JDK1.4 doesn't support the
SHA1PRNG algorithm (which is used to generate random numbers).
>From IBM's docs on JCE:

    Random Number Generation (RNG) Algorithms

    The algorithm names in this section can be specified when generating
    an instance of SecureRandom.

    IBMSecureRandom: The name of the random number generation algorithm
    supplied by the IBMJCE provider. This implementation uses a MD5
    message digest and computes the hash over a true-random seed value.

(from
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/java/jdk/security/jceDocs.zip )

Can you try specifying a different algorithm, namely "IBMSecureRandom"?
You'd have to change the code for the
com.arsdigita.kernel.security.Crypto class, since there seems to be no
way to change this via configuration options.

If you cannot do that, maybe you can get rid of the IBM-supplied jce.jar
and provide another one that provides this algorithm?

Hope this helps,

	Michael.

--
Michael Hanisch                                      mhanisch redhat com
Red Hat - RH Interchange Inc., Orleansstrasse 4,  D-81669 Munich/Germany