physical memory support under RHEL for Opteron

Herwig Goemans Herwig.Goemans at ikan.be
Thu Apr 1 14:01:41 UTC 2004

Peter,

We have a dual Opteron Motherboard Tyans S2881 with 4Gb or Ram.
We have installed RedHat enterpise V3 AS and it recognizes the memory
without problem.
We have trouble however finding the sata controller, REdHat does not
find or recognize the device.
The physical limit of our motherboard is 16GB RAM but as we have 2*4
banks of memory and 2GB chips are not on the market yet, we have
installed 4GB.
I do not know what the limit is that the opteron processor can address,
but if you plan on installing a dual motherboard with 64 bit processors,
the processors can probably allocate much more memory than can be put on
your motherboard.
As far as the other remarks: I cannot really tell.

Best regards and good luck.

Herwig