ISO downloads

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Fri Apr 2 21:41:49 UTC 2004

Stewart Walker wrote:
> I've got a win2k computer I would like to down load the ISO files to as
> it has a RW CD drive for creating the ISO image to CD.
>
> I've downloaded several download managers to the Win2K box
> feeding them the url to the iso files per Redhats instructions.. I just get
> errors and the download fails.

Simply download the .iso files via FTP in BINARY (or "IMAGE") mode and
save them.  Try going here with your browser:

	ftp://mirrors.kernel.org/fedora/core/1/i386/iso/

Click on each of the "yarrow-i386-discN.iso" links.  When your browser
asks you what to do, save them to some scratch directory somewhere.

Once you've downloaded the images, use your CD burning software to burn
the CDs from those .iso files.  Make SURE you tell your software that
the files are ISO images (that's IMPORTANT!).  An ISO image is an image
of the CD itself.  If you burn the CDs and look at their contents, if
you only see one file, you burned them incorrectly.

> Do you have to be on the Linux box to do this or what.

No, as described above.

> Using wget on the Linux ES 2.1 machine works but its going to take
> all of the hard drive space not to mention a week to get all of the
> ISO's.
>
> Is ftp an option?

I just told you how to do it using a browser and FTP.
-                 IGNORE that man behind the keyboard!               -
-                                                - The Wizard of OS  -