Linux Visibility on Microsoft Network

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Apr 7 16:26:50 UTC 2004

Waldher, Travis R wrote:
> [...]

Yes, but that wouldn't prohibit browsing.

> That could explain why it shows up on the network and he gets access
> denied/server not available type errors.

There are a world of things that need to be addressed with Samba and
Windows access.  First, if it's NT4SP3/W2K/W2K3/XP/98SE, then you must
enable encrypted passwords in smb.conf.  You must create the Unix users,
then use the smbpasswd program to create the encrypted passwords that
Samba will reference.  If you use the user map, then that must also be
prepared.  You must set up the shares in smb.conf, too.  After all that,
you have to stop and restart nmbd and smbd.

> Note on Samba, we normally tell samba to authenticate through a Windows
> Domain controller here and map the user names out to user ID's.

That makes things a bit easier.

Really, if you're going to use Samba, use swat to set it up AND get a
decent Samba book such as "Using Samba" from O'Reilly.  There are a lot
of weirdnesses with Windows networking.
-    I don't suffer from insanity...I enjoy every minute of it!      -