Linux Visibility on Microsoft Network

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Wed Apr 7 16:34:56 UTC 2004

Wesa, Richard (GE Consumer & Industrial) wrote:
> Rick,
> I have done everything you have suggested except "swat &" returns "command not found" and in Mozilla,
> localhost:901 returns "Connection was refused". The file etc/xinetd.d/swat does not exist.

The line in /etc/services should look like:

	swat    901/tcp               # Samba Web Administration Tool

The xinetd control file is "/etc/xinetd.d/swat".  Here are the default
contents:

# default: off
#              to configure your Samba server. To use SWAT, \
#              connect to port 901 with your favorite web browser.
service swat
{
         disable = yes
         port            = 901
         socket_type     = stream
         wait            = no
         only_from       = 127.0.0.1
         user            = root
         server          = /usr/sbin/swat
         log_on_failure  += USERID
}

Again, change

         disable = yes

         disable = no

and "kill -HUP `pidof xinetd`".  Swat should now be listening.  Try
doing a "netstat -lpn | grep 901".  You should see xinetd listening on
TCP port 901 at that point, and swat should be ready to go.

Note that "only_from" line, meaning you can ONLY access swat from a
mozilla on the same machine that swat is running on.  When you browse
"http://localhost:901", you'll be presented with a login screen.  Log
in as the root user and you should be good to go.

- Do not taunt the sysadmins, for they are subtle and quick to anger -