Samba Upgrade Issue

Chris Morton cmorton at newsguy.com
Thu Apr 8 03:50:25 UTC 2004

Over the weekend, I upgraded my server from RedHat 7.3 to Fedora.

For the most part, everything runs.  There is a major problem however.

I was running Samba 2.2.x.  When I did the upgrade, I no longer had
access to my home directory.

After finally finding some useful documentation, it appears that 3.x is
VASTLY different from 2.x.  I THINK the issue relates to LDAP, but I
don't know anything about LDAP, and I haven't gotten far enough into the
documentation to make heads or tails of what's really going on.

Can anybody tell me if there's a quick fix for the home directory issue?

Secondly, I have video on the server, but it seems to be at the wrong
sync rate(s), because of video artifacts on the screen.  I use an old
close out MicroCenter 14" monitor on a switchbox to access the server
directly.  Apparently no version of RedHat can probe it correctly, and
finding the monitor spec.s is quite the challenge.  I THINK I found a
usenet post on Google Groups (in Russian!) with the right spec.s, but
unless I'm mistaken the X configuration file has changed some too.  It's
listed as an "E447AU" on the back of the monitor.  I ended up picking a
Generic 1024x768 monitor just to get video.  What do I need to change,
especially to get the frequency right for the resolutions?

Thanks in advance.