Linux Network weirdness

Rick Stevens rstevens at vitalstream.com
Thu Apr 8 19:55:11 UTC 2004

Waldher, Travis R wrote:
> I try to enable an eth0 interface through vmware 4.0 on a Redhat ES 3.0
> system.
>
> I get the following error:
>
> Error, some other host already uses address 132.224.82.57.
>
> Ok.. I checked, no other host is using it, I set this vmware machine to
> use the bridged type connection.  I also triple checked my ifcfg-eth0
> file, it is all typed in correctly, no extra spaces even on the end of
> the lines.

Are you sure?  Something has that address in its ARP table or answers
the bell.

Keep in mind that lots of stuff is hidden if you're on a switch or
VLAN, however, can you tcpdump it and see what's going on?  You can also
check the "arp -e" output.
-  Jimmie crack corn and I don't care...what kind of lousy attitude  -
-                 is THAT to have, huh?   -- Dennis Miller           -